Search
search up to

AUTOSTRADE PER L’ITALIA: ADJUSTMENTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH EU REGULATIONS DO NOT INVOLVE THE STRUCTURAL SAFETY OF TUNNELS

ADJUSTMENTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH EU REGULATIONS DO NOT INVOLVE THE STRUCTURAL SAFETY OF TUNNELS
COMPENSATORY MEASURES ENSURING THE SAME STANDARDS OF SAFETY AND PREVENTION IN CASE OF ACCIDENTS HAVE BEEN IN PLACE ON THE ENTIRE ASPI NETWORK SINCE 30 APRIL 2019. WORK IS EITHER IN PROGRESS OR COMPLETED IN OVER 90% OF THE TUNNELS

Rome, Friday 10 January 2020 – With regard to certain articles published in the media on the failure of motorway tunnels belonging to the trans-European network to comply with EU legislation, Autostrade per l'Italia would like to point out that the measures provided for in said legislation do not under any circumstances involve the structural safety of tunnels. These adjustments consist in the installation of water systems, the construction of drainage channels on the carriageway, the lighting of evacuation areas and the activation of further radio channels.
Upgrading of these installations is either underway or in some cases already completed in more than 90% of the tunnels concerned on the ASPI network. As to the remaining 10%, the works are in the process of being awarded.
On 30 April 2019, Autostrade per l'Italia, as requested by the Permanent Tunnel Commission of the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, launched a series of compensatory measures, backed up by a special safety study, to ensure a level of safety and prevention equal to or greater than that which will be achieved once the current adjustments have been completed. These measures, notified to the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport on 17 April 2019, mainly entail the monitoring of the tunnels for fire-fighting purposes, the positioning of water reservoirs in correspondence with the portals of each tunnel and the adoption of water absorbent kits to be used in the event of spillage of liquids.
The Permanent Tunnel Commission of the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport indicated to ASPI the need to implement further compensatory measures only on 6 November 2019, and the company undertook to implement them as soon as possible, while confirming the full suitability of the systems adopted so far. On this issue, ASPI is maintaining an ongoing dialogue with Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport for the management of the activities and the relevant compensatory measures.