A8 MILAN NORTH BARRIER – LAINATE INTERCONNECTION – FIFTH LANE CONSTRUCTION (4.4 KM
IThe project involves the upgrading of the segment to 5 lanes + emergency lane of the segment stretching approximately 4.4 km, including the Milan North barrier and the Lainate interconnection.
The work stems from the need to provide continuity to the 3-lane upgrading of the A9 motorway and, at the same time, to ensure access roads to the exhibition centre and Expo 2015 area. Furthermore, the redevelopment is planned of the connection between the SS 33 "del Sempione" and the SS 233 "Varesina", which also has the function of providing an entry route to the motorway.
The work also includes the replacement of the Lainate toll booth and the resulting upgrading of the exit system.
The work was divided into two lots:
- Lot 1, between the Milan North barrier and the Villoresi service area, approximately 1.7 km long, was opened to traffic on 29 April 2015, in time for the start of the Expo 2015 events;
- Lot 2, between the Villoresi service area and the Lainate interconnection, is currently being contracted out.
The work also includes:
- the installation of approximately 5,000 ml of sound-absorbing barriers;
- a new vehicular underpass at the Lainate interconnection;
- external roads for local connections;
- the completion of Origgio West exit procedures.