For Autostrade per l'Italia, raising the standards of the service offered is also connected to reducing its own impact on the environment.
Optimising relationships with the ecosystem is strategically important at Autostrade per l'Italia, resulting in organisational responsibility at various levels, dedicated processes, stakeholder involvement policies and tools. As of 2006, the company has implemented an integrated environmental management system, with the committment to guarantee and constantly improve envirnonmental and workforce health and safety conditions, using the ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 regulations as a model for its management system.
In safeguarding the environment, the Company operates along four direct lines:
1. Improving environmental compatibility of activities through:
- environmental impact risk assessment procedures (hydro-geological, acoustic, atmospheric) that accompany the action planning;
- analysis and mitigation of the environmental impact on infrastructure construction and enhancement projects;
- extensive programme of environmental surveys and continuous monitoring of the network in operation.
2. Streamlining energy consumption
through the extension of LED lighting on the network, the development of renewable sources, better management of heating and lighting systems at the operating headquarters and, since 2006, the construction of 3 high-performance cogeneration units that simultaneously produce electricity, thermal energy and cooling energy.
3. Tackling climate change
through the reduction of direct and indirect CO2 emissions, by enhancing infrastructures and the development of technology systems that improve traffic fluidity reducing the consumption and emissions vehicles travelling on the network (third and fourth lanes, Tutor, Telepass, transport information)
4. Reduction of the environmental footprint
(water consumption, noise mitigation plan, reduction of waste production, circular economy) that has positive effects on the environment and the community, but also on customers and partners called to support the Group in reduction operations. Sustainable environmental development means, in fact, tackling waste by focusing on innovative technology solutions in terms of materials, methods and tools used, according to the most challenging environmental standards.
Actions and Numbers
- Energy efficiency: extensive use of LED technology in outdoor illumination and in that in tunnel and buildings, installation of high efficiency climatisations systems, temperature regulation systems in offices and toll stations, 33 solar power plants operations
- Trigenerations: 3 plants installed in the company's headquarters in Rome and Calenzano (Florence) that allowed the production of over 3.20 GWh of electric power in 2017 with a highly efficient use of energy sources
- Noise reduction plan: in 2017 the programme achieved coverage of 55% of the affected population.
- Over 6.600 tons of C02 avoided in 2017 thanks to the installation of photovoltaic plants and to initiatives for the increase of energy efficiency
- Renweable energies: the Photovoltaic plan: at the end of 2017, 164 plants had been installed along the ASPI Network with a total installed capacity of 10.9 MWp and with production of 12,882 MWh per year of electricity from renewable sources. Photovoltaic shelters installed in 91 Service Areas with a capacity of approximately 4.2 MWp, 70 plants installed in the central and peripheral buildings across the entire network, with a capacity of approximately 4.9 MWp,and 3 ground-mounted installations with an installed capacity of approximately 1.8 MWp.
- Green Station: new electric vehicle rechargeing service, pilot scheme activated in the Service Areas located in Frascati Est and Ovest (A1 Highway, Roma sud – San Cesareo)