Network Monitoring and Maintenance
Autostrade per l'Italia carries out ongoing continuous visual checks on the quality of the routine maintenance within its network:
- cleaning and refuse collection from the premises;
- mowing of grass, pruning of trees and shrubs;
- maintenance of the hydraulic efficiency of the works;
- repair of damage caused by accidents;
- review of road markings, cleaning and realignment of guide markers, painting/wash of tunnel walls;
- review of vertical signage standards;
- localized paving restoration;
- minor maintenance of buildings and works of art. The anomalies trend shows a marked improvement in all monitored areas. The road markings quality indicator, defined in the Single Convention, is also on the up, and is almost 10% higher than the conventional standard.
Development of means and resources
As at 2012, internal routine maintenance (i.e. carried out directly by Autostrade per l'Italia staff without recourse to external contractors) accounts for 37.3% of total network maintenance, up from 19.5% in 2007. Autostrade per l'Italia's substantial investment in vehicles and equipment has greatly contributed to this result. Work cycle engineering also improves productivity and ensures greater safety for operators on the road.