1950: Autostrade Concessioni e Costruzioni S.p.A. was established by IRI. (Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale)and played a leading role in post-war reconstruction together with other leading industrial groups.
1956: ANAS and Autostrade signed the first Agreement for the construction and management of the main artery connecting the north and south of the country: the Autostrada del Sole (A1 Milan- Naples) opened in 1964.
1982: Autostrade Group is founded by a merger with other motorway concessionaries.
1987: Autostrade Concessioni e Costruzioni S.p.A. was listed on the Stock Exchange managed by Borsa Italiana Spa and admitted to the Mib 30 index.
1990: the company introduced Telepass, the world's first large scale dynamic toll-collection system, now serving over six million customers.
1992: Autostrade participated in the first toll motorway project in the United Kingdom, the M6 Toll in Birmingham. The system came into operation at the end of 2003.
1995: Autostrade built the first privately financed toll motorway in the United States, the Dulles Greenway in Virginia.
1997: A new agreement with ANAS was signed, providing for extension of the concession from 2018 to 2038 and a commitment, among others, to build the variante di Valico.
1999: Autostrade was privatized: a stable group of stakeholders (Schema28 S.P.A.) took a 30 % share in IRI group, the remaining 70 % was listed on the stock market.
2002: Autostrade awarded a 10-year concession by the Austrian government to build and manage the first multilane free-flow toll system applied on a large scale to 2000 km of roads and motorways in Austria. The system - managed by the italian company Europpass and controlled by The Austrian company Asfinag - came into operation in January 2004.
2003: the Group modified its organizational structure: the motorway concession business was transferred to Autostrade per l'Italia S.p.A.,a wholly owned subsidiary of Autostrade S.p.A.
2007: Autostrade S.p.A. became Atlantia S.p.A., listed with a market capitalization of over €12 billion. Atlantia holds 100% of Autostrade per l'Italia.
2008: Signing of sole Concession Agreement for a further €7 billion of investments in new works.