Homepage

About Us / History



Autostrade per l’Italia is a European leader among concessionaire for the construction and management of toll highways.

History

1950 IRI incorporates Società Autostrade Concessioni e Costruzioni Spa to participate in Italy's post-war reconstruction, together with other large industrial groups.
1956 the first Agreement is signed between ANAS and Autostrade; as a result Autostrade commits to co-financing, building and managing the Autostrada del Sole between Milan and Naples, which opened in 1964.
1982 founding of the Autostrade Group, by merging with other highway concessionaires.
1987 Autostrade Concessioni e Costruzioni S.p.A. is listed on the Borsa Italiana S.p.A. stock exchange, in the Mib30 list
1990 the Autostrade Group introduces Telepass, the world's first large-scale dynamic tolling system, which now has more than 7 million customers.
1992 Autostrade takes part in the United Kingdom's first toll-paying highway project, the M6 Toll in Birmingham, which began operating in 2003.
1995 the Company implements the first toll-paying highway financed by private resources in the United States, the Dulles Greenway, in Virginia.
1997 a new ANAS/Autostrade Agreement is signed; this establishes the extension of the concession from 2018 to 2038, and the commitment, amongst others, to building the Variante di Valico (mountain pass variant in central Italy).
1999 Società Autostrade is privatised and the IRI Group, a major shareholder (30%) since the company's inception, is replaced by a stable core of private shareholders, united by the company Società Schemaventotto Spa. The remaining 70% is listed on the Italian Stock Exchange.
2002 Autostrade wins the international tender launched by the Austrian government to create the world's most advanced non-stop remote electronic tolling system for heavy goods vehicles. The system was completed and activated in 2004 and is managed by Europpass, of which the Austrian granting Body, Asfinag, took control in August 2004.
2003 following corporate reorganisation, the highway concession activities are assigned to Autostrade per l'Italia, 100% controlled by Autostrade SpA (today Atlantia), which is still listed on the Italian Stock Exchange.
2004 an integration to the 1997 Agreement (IV Additional Deed) becomes effective with Autostrade per l'Italia committing to further network development; the main extensions include building the Passante di Genova, the third lane of the Adriatic A14 between Rimini Nord and P.to S.Elpidio and the fourth lane between Milano Est and Bergamo (opened to traffic in September 2007).
2007 Autostrade Spa becomes Atlantia Spa listed on the Italian Stock Exchange with a capitalisation of about €10 billion (at the end of 2009). Atlantia holds 100% of Autostrade per l'Italia.
2008 the Single Agreement of Autostrade per l'Italia becomes law; which, in terms of investment, involves the commitment to develop the preliminary plans to expand some highway stretches over approximately 330 km of the network, for an estimated cost of about €5 billion. Other specific network expansions are also planned, for a total investment of around €2 billion.
2015 On the twenty-third of December the Variante di Valico is opened to the public. This alternative route makes the travel time of the highway A1 between Bologna and Florence faster. This infrastructure strengthened 59 kilometers, 32 of which are of the new Variante. There are 41 new galleries and viaducts, with two one way lane, 2 new service area and 2 new exits. The Variante will make the highway 226 meters lower, reducing over the thirty percent of the travel time and saving about 100 million liters of gas per year.