For Autostrade per l'Italia, raising the standards of the service offered is also connected to reducing its own impact on the environment.
Optimising relationships with the ecosystem is strategically important at Autostrade per l'Italia, resulting in organisational responsibility at various levels, dedicated processes, stakeholder involvement policies and tools.
In safeguarding the environment, the Company operates along four direct lines:
1. Improving environmental compatibility of activities through:
- environmental impact risk assessment procedures (hydro-geological, acoustic, atmospheric) that accompany the action planning;
- analysis and mitigation of the environmental impact on infrastructure construction and enhancement projects;
- extensive programme of environmental surveys and continuous monitoring of the network in operation.
2. Streamlining energy consumption
through the extension of LED lighting on the network, the development of renewable sources, better management of heating and lighting systems at the operating headquarters and, since 2006, the construction of 3 high-performance cogeneration units that simultaneously produce electricity, thermal energy and cooling energy.
3. Tackling climate change
through the reduction of direct and indirect CO2 emissions, by enhancing infrastructures and the development of technology systems that improve traffic fluidity reducing the consumption and emissions vehicles travelling on the network (third and fourth lanes, Tutor, Telepass, transport information)
4. Reduction of the environmental footprint
(water consumption, noise mitigation plan, reduction of waste production, circular economy) that has positive effects on the environment and the community, but also on customers and partners called to support the Group in reduction operations. Sustainable environmental development means, in fact, tackling waste by focusing on innovative technology solutions in terms of materials, methods and tools used, according to the most challenging environmental standards.
The Photovoltaic Plan
By the end of 2016, 153 plants will have been installed across the ASPI Network with a total installed capacity of 10.4 MWp and with production of over 12,000 MWh per year of electricity from renewable sources.
Photovoltaic shelters installed in 90 Service Areas with a capacity of approximately 4.2 MWp, 60 plants installed in the central and peripheral buildings across the entire network, with a capacity of approximately 4.4 MWp,and 3 ground-mounted installations with an installed capacity of approximately 1.8 MWp. Autostrade per l'Italia's photovoltaic plan includes a total of 153 plants in operation with an installed capacity of 10.4 MWp.
The installed power output will be increased to 10.6 MWp with installations planned during the course of 2017, bringing the number of plants in operation across the ASP Network to 157.
- Electric and Lighting Installations: energy savings of 27,000 MWh per year thanks to operations carried out since 2012, particularly as a result of the extensive use of LED technology
- 1390 MWh of electricity, 100 thousand litres of diesel and 17 thousand cubic metres of methane saved in 2016 thanks to air-conditioning operations
- Noise reduction plan: in 2016 the programme achieved coverage of 53% of the affected population.
- Over 5.700 tons of C02 avoided in 2016 thanks to the installation of photovoltaic plants and to initiatives for the increase of energy efficiency